* In Johannesburg there’s THE WITS TRIO and they will be presenting a programme of two early trios by Beethoven and Brahms. Beethoven’s trio is among his first published works, showing the young composer determined to leave his stamp on the intimate chamber setting. The Trio members are pianinst Malcolm Nay, Zanta Hofmeyr on violin, as well as Susan Mouton on the cello. The show is taking place from 3pm at the Atrium in Braamfontein. Ticket prices go from R30 to R85.
* In Cape Town the Banks Kitchen Shops will be hosting its 5th annual Banks Youth Day Cook-Off competition, which aims to encourage and nurture the talent of young aspiring chefs between 13 and 18 years old. The top 3 finalists are invited to cook in store for a panel of judges led by renowned local chef Jenny Morris where winners stand a chance to win prizes valued at over R65,000.
All this is taking place at the Banks Kitchen Shop from 10am to 12pm and entrance is free.
* The Friends of Orchestral Music, in association with Bowmans, host their winter sunset soiree with The Other Side Of The Orchestra, as part of their mandate to raise funds and awareness for orchestral music and musicians in Cape Town. The programme features movements from works and short individual pieces that give the audience a chance to hear a unique variety of music – from double bass and trombone to viola and violin – and to get to know the musicians one often sees in the City Hall, up close in this special setting. The event is taking place at Bowmans and tickets are available at a price of R400 per person.
* Celebrate the launch of coolest collaboration of all time. ‘Paco Rabanne 1 Million’ perfume has teamed up with the icon of retro gaming, ‘Pac-Man’ to bring you the Paco Rabanne x Pac-Man fragrance and pop up store. You can check this out at Sandton City, on Sunday 21st July, from 09:00-19:00 and entrance is free.
* The Buskaid Ensamble returns to the Linder Auditorium with an impressive line-up of four past and present Buskaid violinists as soloists in Vivald`s Four Seasons. Also on the programme- Mozart`s Eine Kleine Nachtmusik, Sarasate`s Zigeunerwiesen and Mendelssohn`s beautiful 10th String Symphony. This is happening on the 21st July, show starts at 15:00 and tickets range from R180-R280.
* Visit the Bioscope for the last Brazilian film showing today. Nise- the heart of madness is a story about, Dr. Nise da Silveira who works at a psychiatric hospital on the outskirts of Rio de Janeiro and refuses to employ the new and violent electroshock in the treatment of schizophrenics. Ridiculed by doctors, she is forced to take the abandoned Sector for Occupational Therapy, where she would start a revolution through paints, dogs and love. This will be showing from 14:00-16:00 and entrance is free
For more news, visit: sabcnews.com